Please review and correct the information below.


There is a range of different housing options available in your area and it is important that you choose the right one for you. Here is information about the options and support available to access, apply and pay for such options.

Renting and buying options

Individual Tenancy

An application for housing from the Council or a housing association can be made by individuals. To qualify for housing you must complete an application form and register on the waiting list. Each landlord has its own rules for the allocation of its properties. In many cases however, the Council has nomination arrangements with housing associations, which allows it to put applicants forward for consideration for vacancies arising. However, the Council and the Housing Associations may have long waiting lists.

Private Rented

There are a number of landlords who have accommodation for rent. Private landlords will require a deposit, which would have to be paid before obtaining the keys to the property. Unlike the Council and Housing Associations that give a tenancy for however long you want it, private landlords usually only offer short-term tenancies.

Shared Ownership

Shared ownership schemes are run by housing associations and are available to help people who cannot afford to buy their home outright. Shared ownership is a way of buying your own home and giving you the choice about where you want to live and the support you receive.

Owner Occupation

One of the first stages of the home-buying process is to approach a mortgage lender to find out how much it would be willing to lend you. Once you have established how much you are able to borrow you can look for a house to buy.

Find out more about Renting and Buying options.

Supported housing and shared lives

Supported housing

This accommodation is usually where up to a maximum of four people live in a rented property, which is usually owned or managed by a housing association, with their own bedroom but they share the living room, kitchen and bathroom with the other tenants. Staff can be on duty 24 hours per day or they may visit on a regular basis.

Shared Lives Placement

Shared Lives is where an individual lives with a family who provide accommodation and support within their own home. Usually one member of the family provides most of the support and they are the 'carer'.

Find out more about Supported Housing & Shared Lives.

Residential and nursing homes

A residential home is a home where a number of people live together who receive care and support 24 hrs a day from care staff. A nursing home is a home where people live together who require nursing care because of illness or disability and receive care and support from trained nursing staff.

Find out more about Residential & nursing homes.

For a list of residential & nursing homes visit: Care Quality Commission.

Housing and Council tax benefit

If the council offers you temporary or permanent accommodation you may be eligible to claim housing benefit to help you pay your rent or council tax benefits.

For advice and support on Benefits please visit the following websites:

Find out more about Housing and Council Tax Benefit.

Support within your home

If you are finding it difficult to cope at home, there are a number of ways that you can be supported, to help you remain living independently for as long as possible.

Find out more about support within your home.

Contacting East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Housing

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.

Help Us Get It Right For You...

by telling us a bit about yourself.