Skip to content Site map
Text size:
Please review and correct the information below.


Money and legal affairs

Looking for the right financial or legal advice can be like searching a mine field, but you can map your way through if you take the right turns. Why not start below?

Social care charges

Depending on your circumstances, you may be expected to contribute towards the cost of your care.

We do not charge for:

  • Assessments
  • Services we provide for carers - although we may charge for services we provide to the person you are caring for, depending on their financial circumstances

Fairer Charging is the national charging scheme for care services in your home or for day care or other non-residential care services.

Contact us to find out more about Adult Social Services, the assessments and the different ways of managing your social care budget.

Paying for Care

Learn about NHS and self funding options, managing direct payments, and other ways to pay for your care.                                  

The Money Advice Service

Help to manage your money and debt

It is important to manage your money effectively to avoid getting into debt.

To make the most of your money, visit the Money Advice Service for helpful unbiased advice, where you can get a clear picture of your finances.

Direct Gov have a range of useful information and tools regarding:

  • Bank accounts and banking products
  • Planning your personal finances
  • Keeping your money secure
  • Financial problems
  • Managing debt

The National Debtline helpline provides free confidential advice on how to deal with debt problems.

If Adult Social Services are providing you with a personal budget and you need help and further advice please contact us.

Welfare benefits advice and support

It is important that you are receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled.

Gov UK provide benefits advice, for you/your family or for someone else. Contact them to have your benefits estimated or to check your available benefits.

Find out more about benefits, the assessment process and appealing against a decision.

Support with legal matters

If you care for someone else there may come a time when you have to manage their affairs.

The Mental Capacity Act 2005 protects people who may be unable to make some decisions. It enables people to choose someone to manage their finances and property should they become incapable of doing so.

To appoint someone to make decisions about your welfare, money or property you can complete a legal document called 'Lasting Power of Attorney'. Find out more about how to manage your affairs.