Skip to content Site Map
Text size:

Deferred Payment Arrangements (DPA)

Page last updated: 20 September 2019

The Deferred Payment Agreement is designed to help you if you have been assessed as having to pay the full cost of your residential care, but cannot afford to pay the full weekly charge because most of your capital is tied up in your home.

Effectively a deferred payment offers you a ‘loan’ from East Riding of Yorkshire Council using your home as security. It doesn’t work exactly the same way as a conventional loan, you are not given a lump sum upfront, but rather the authority agrees to pay part of your residential care bills to cover the part you cannot pay due to your capital being tied up in your home.

The council will secure its interest in the amount paid on your behalf by obtaining a legal charge against your property.

Previous Speaking on someone's behalf
Next Help to Manage Money and Debt