Skip to content Site Map
Text size:

Social Housing

Page last updated: 25 August 2020

Housing associations (often referred to as registered social landlords or RSLs) are non-profit making organisations that provide affordable housing in many areas of the country. They are controlled by management boards made up of volunteers, with a range of professional skills and local knowledge. They build new homes and improve existing properties, mainly for rent. They are regulated by the homes and communities agency under the housing act 1996


Some RSLs offer support for people with a range of needs including -

  • older people
  • people with disabilities and learning disabilities
  • people who have been homeless

Many housing associations hold their own housing lists and you should contact them for advice about registering. We also nominate customers from our housing list to some housing association properties. If you wish to be considered you must be on the council's (opens in a new window) waiting list, and have ticked ‘Yes’ to question eight on the housing application form that asks if you wish to be considered for a housing association tenancy. 

You can obtain a housing application form by e-mailing (opens in a new window)or telephone (01482) 393939. 

Previous Residential and Nursing Homes
Next Sheltered Housing